I came across this recipe on the FoodMatters website and decided to give it a go. Rather than doing individual tartlets I wound up going with a single large tart, mainly just for ease of assembly. Instead of using individual berries, which had a tendency to roll around and misbehave, I also jellified some frozen berries by mixing them with maple syrup and chia seeds for the topping. At this point, I feel I’m beginning to sound like a broken record, but this is a great and simple raw desert. I think I’ve collected enough raw dessert recipes to never have to worry about “cooking” one again. The oven has now been relegated to second-class citizenship status in my kitchen. Take that, electric bill. ;).
Recipe adapted from: Foodmatters
Makes: One 9″ tart
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 1/4 cup raw cashew pieces
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or raw honey
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 4 tablespoons coconut cream
- 2 cups organic frozen berries
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- To make the crust, place the first 4 ingredients in a food processor, and process to a fine crumb that sticks to together when pressed with fingers.
- Press crust mixture into the base of a 9″ removable bottom tart pan, compacting well.